Legit payday loans
Legit payday loans are those that are legally provided by a lender. The payday lender has to follow all the rules and regulations laid down by the state in which it operates. Such laws are applicable for both in-store and online payday loans.
Provided below is information that can help you determine whether a payday loan is legit or not.
- Payday loans are prohibited in some states, severely regulated in certain states, and legal in some other states. All legit payday loan lenders abide by the state laws and regulations. Lenders that do not follow the rules are not considered as legit.
- Legit payday loan lenders do not charge more than the interest rate set by the state.
- It is vital for a lender to have the license to operate as a payday loan money lender in a state. If payday loans are prohibited in a state, then lenders cannot legally operate in that state.
- Legit payday loan lenders provide all their contact details on their website. They may have options of live chat, phone support, and a physical address. A payday loan lender that offers only an email address and a contact/application form may not necessarily be legit. Take the time to find more about the lender before applying for a payday loan.
- The BBB/Better Business Bureau is a non-profit organization that works towards identification of legit and trustworthy businesses. It has been in existence for over 100 years. Check whether the payday loan lender has accreditation from BBB. Dealing with BBB accredited lenders is generally preferable.
- All lenders of legit payday loans need to provide details about the interest rates, fees, charges, and tenure of the payday loan. They also have to follow the APRs/Annual Percentage Rates and the maximum loan limit that may be set by the state. The loan agreement should clearly list out the loan amount, the interest, the repayment schedule, the fees, and other agreed upon details.
- Lenders of legit payday loans do not place any restrictions on how burrowers use the loan money, other than an expectation that it would be used for legally permitted expenses. Lenders who order burrowers about where they can spend the short term loan are not considered to be legit.
- Legit payday loans can be availed by US citizens or permanent citizens, who are 18 years or older (or as stipulated by the state), and have a regular paycheck. Some lenders may also require burrowers to have a bank account for ACH deposit and repayments.
- Legit payday loan lenders do not ask for any upfront money from burrowers. All fees and other charges are deducted from the repayments. Origination fees are deducted from the amount taken as loan. Any lender that asks for an upfront payment is definitely not a legit payday loan lender.
Lenders may report the application of a legit payday loan to the credit bureaus. If you default on the repayment, then it will adversely affect your credit score. Hence, take legit payday loans only for emergency purposes and repay it without fail.